Generating ideas in a systematic manner.
Draw a chart that lists all the functions of your product and sketch all the possible solutions per function.
- Ability to dream up many variants of a solution.
- A systematic way of working.
- A large sheet of paper and hand drawing tools.
- An analysis of the parts or functions of your design.
Morphological charts are used in product design and are particularly useful to come up with unexpected alternatives for complex designs. Their origin lies in the field of industrial product design.
- The Delft Design Guide spends a few pages about morphological charts (p120-p121)
- A more extensive description is found in Product Ontwerpen Structuur & Methoden (Roozenburg & Ekels) p218-227